• Day 002: Monday January 2nd

05:30 (NYC) Waiting at my gate now, got woken up by the hotel this morning… ergh! Too early, but my excitement has well and truly taken control of me now.  My cold actually seems a bit worse today, probably as it was fairly windy in New York, will get some vitamin C in San Jose.  Hopefully I will beat it before it takes me out in these early stages. 

I broke my wallet on the plane, somehow broke my trousers or “pants” if you're an American, and had to pay $40 for an extra suitcase which is better than $200.  My airline charges $200 for being a couple of kilos over, but $40 for a second bag ($70 internationally), and luckily I placed the suitcase I had packed into another larger one as I knew I am going to bring a lot back.  At the same time I'm a skinny guy so what’s the difference if a fat guy boards the plane too, stupid modern world.  

I successfully boarded my flight where I sat anxiously waiting to arrive in the prosperous country of Costa Rica. My Spanish is now daunting me a little, but it should be fine despite being too occupied to practice beforehand and I was too distracted to learn much now...
Back To Where I Belong (D.Philpot)

14:30 (Costa Rica local time) Sat in Hotel Cacts in San Jose now so must have done something right, and I have all of my luggage.  I’ve left my new aeroplane friends behind, another sweet American couple who had never travelled to Costa Rica before but were avid divers with general conservation interests and as we approached for landing I tried spotting whales from the plane, naturally, peeping through the clouds eager to explore the nature Costa Rica has to offer me. 

Upon landing I could immediately tell nature is the heart of this country.  Obvious examples at this early stage include waterproof money coated in animals and nature, beer advertising using nature, and as the image below shows from the moment I entered the country I couldn't avoid noticing these glass window panes greeting me just as I got off the plane...


Local Nature Conservation Is A Global Commitment (D.Philpot)

I met a taxi driver at the airport who was impressed with my Spanish (as was I) but I realised my 2 years of it in school had taught me nothing compared to what I needed to know, and that was also 8 years ago so I am in need of some practice.  I spent the whole journey with my head against the window looking outside, just as I do sitting in my family car in England which may appear rude but there is more to see outside instead of filling the gap with needless chit-chat, also I was conversing quite well in Spanish as well at the time.

From the outside this hotel appears secure, the inside is clean with a fresh comforting feel created with wide open spaces and white tiling (along with some very basic Christmas mementoes still remaining including a rather sorry looking Christmas tree). The high ceilings above the stairs holding some welcoming fans led me up to the first floor with a rooftop pool followed by randomly placed rooms (as if on a hillside). Upon reaching the top of another flight of stairs there are more rooms interconnected through interwoven balconies of cool concrete, at up on more set of steps I found the large rooftop kitchen/bar area and rooftop garden patio.  The rooms match the décor of the hotel; light with large white tiles, hot and cold showers and a comfy bed - all-in-all more luxurious than I had expected.

Anyway, this hotel is very nice so of course comes at a bit of a price but I know much of my time will result in my return here, especially now meeting and knowing of the scientists contact at the reception.  She knew who I was and was extremely helpful, now I plan to go out, explore and buy a few bits.  Clearly I am not one to sit about the hotel and lounge in the pool, yet despite not even being on the beach/coast yet I already I want to return to this beautiful country.

17:35 Got some shopping (food/cosmetics) but most frustratingly, could not find any existing ticket office for the proposed bus I need tomorrow. The lady downstairs had gained a puppy, a wandering stray, who features in my first video on my accompanying youtube channel for this blog found here:

Video 1 - Hotel Cacts Puppy

18:55 I spoke to my country coordinators (the scientists) and am now advised to just get to my bus early tomorrow morning by 06:00am then hope for the best. I really cannot wait to simply get to where I am supposed to be living, sit put with no worries and enjoy all the nature I can see.