• Day 008: Sunday January 8th


15:00 DL has just left the reserve, which means she has left me semi in charge of San Miguel with a lot of inventory and things to keep myself busy.

This morning we put out the data loggers by “Shark Tooth Rock” and “Tableland” areas of the lagoon.  DL seemed impressed at the simplicity of the loggers I had bought with me along on the trip so is looking into purchasing some more.  It turned out though that finding a suitable flat rock surface that was reasonably shallow was fairly tough but I got them deployed regardless.
Lagoon Photo From Entrance Edge (D.Philpot)

Spot The Scampering Armadillo (D.Philpot)

A Different Beast (D.Philpot)
We had an early lunch and spoke in the lab to fill me in on areas I will need to know.  The internet situation is currently pretty dire, but will improve once I have explored the local area of Malpais and Santa Teresa, as to which I look forward to.  However right now I am distracted by the views:

Going Down (D.Philpot)
Going (D.Philpot)
Gone (D.Philpot)
22:39 DL suggested before she left that I make a small fire for myself and cook some beef kebabs, so I prepared some onion, pineapple, and sweet red pepper to go with them and my god they were good.  It felt incredible to be this far from human contact and to be cooking my own meal off a fire surrounded only by nature.  In fact, when I ended the fire a Racoon aka 'a ninja' came and joined me by sitting just across the fire from me which was an interesting interaction, at least for a British guy - Just me, some racoons and their hungry eyes.
A Common Sight (D.Philpot)

Nosey Racoons (M. Muller)
I just relaxed for the evening and sat enjoying the wildlife I could see before retiring to my bed, where a bat decided to fly in to join me.  I soon ignored the small bat as the nearby waves helped drift me off to sleep, something I will never tire of.