• Day 019: Thursday January 19th


00:00 Well as my days become somewhat more full I find myself updating this journal diary later and later, though I am still sticking to it religiously.

So this morning I participated on the bird walk.  Saw the common birds, the usual suspects, but they were out together as it was early so it was pretty interesting as nature always is.  Upon returning for breakfast via the stream there were two Green Kingfishers which seem to have a habit of flying up along the stream whenever I got remotely close with my camera and generally not sitting still for too long.

A Shell-O-Rama was up next where I managed to recall more of the species, well, family groupings, somewhat more sub-consciously it seems.

I then disappeared and ventured into Malpais.  In fact Santa Teresa was closer and actually merged with Malpais in comparison to how I imagine, as I was told the road that the tourist ‘Malpais’ bus comes down is actually the line that splits the two places - A very brief tour can be found on this Video (#36).  
 
Young Ctenosaur By The Entrance (D.Philpot)


The Beachside Road (D.Philpot)

My Local Supermarket (D.Philpot)

Wonderful Surf Shop (D.Philpot)

Coco Loco Rock Nights - Yes (D.Philpot)

 Anyway, I orientated myself with this iconic surf spot of the world, explored and stocked up on some supplied like much needed ice cream haha.
To Think I have Trouble Finding Good Boardshorts In England (D.Philpot)
Upon returning I decided to walk where I had time to ponder as to how life in Costa Rica would be incredible.  A small shack/farm, with some land, some animals, a quad bike and a big sign by my place offering all the services I could conjure up whilst working as a Scuba Diver or better, in the/a national park.  My trail of thoughts were broken when I came across some stray dogs, which made me pretty sad but all you can do is keep walking on past.  If only someone set up a few more animal rescue shelters.
The Dusty Walk Back (D.Philpot)

Local Beachside Football Pitch (D.Philpot)

Beachside School (D.Philpot)

Fishing Market Beach (D.Philpot)
During the evening we first had group presentations about Leaf-Cutter Ants and Epiphyte Plants. Then we went tidepooling where DL carefully picked up a Guineafowl Pufferfish to educate the students (Video 40), but other than another excellent hike out on the reef it was quite a relaxing night.  The station scientist DL enjoyed her birthday, she never sussed out why I had asked her this morning what “Baking Powder” was in Spanish before my errand into town.  The waves rose to high tide and sent me to sleep.
Pufferfish Held Today (D.Philpot)

Aggressive Sea-Slug (D.Philpot)