• Day 013: Friday January 13th


08:30 Woke up to cornflakes today, a great Kiskadee (bird) was calling also and 4 horny Variegated Squirrels were chasing each other around trees with impressive acrobatic skills just like the squirrels from the movie Ice Age.  I spotted a nice Summer Tanager (bird), that was flittering about in a branch of a tree before it soon flew off.  I’m now just sitting about waiting for one of the park gaurds to arrive from the other side of the park on his boat, brimmed full of food I hope.

10:00 Just sat down with my first cappuccino from home, pondering that I cannot believe how I am in this incredible place until August and as to how the sheer beauty of this place astounds me.  A stark contrast to the grey monotone existence of the cold and wet, United Kingdom.

21:00 Well it has certainly turned out to be Friday 13th… from a few people about to 12+ people about.  The boat never came and thus no food, this onlooker also looked a little disappointed:

A White-Faced Capuchin (D.Philpot)
The same monkey can be seen among a group moving among the trees in Video 23

A lady with her family arrived in the afternoon and a scientist with his small family arrived later than expected, as well as the German Volunteer who is now staying an extra day at least.  This is due to the boat being busy out at sea dealing with illegal fishermen along with the coastguard, I wished I could be out there aboard the board as I’m sure it would be an interesting learning experience.  On the upside the family is very nice and they shared their food with us all.  It was strange to have another presence in the park, supplying us with a very different array of food and cooking styles which I found interesting.  Soon I am off to the lab with the scientist to supply him with field gear and possibly help him take plankton tow samples.

The awkward moment when a very young child can speak better Spanish than you…